Thursday, May 21, 2015

Big News - The Flying Pig Terrain Co.

Hello everyone!

Well, the good news is that I'm not dead ... I've been very busy in fact.  A short time ago I had the opportunity to purchase "Rick's Scenics" - a company you've likely seen me blog about before since I have used their roads (dirt, cobblestone and so on) for a long time in my wargames.

I've relaunched the business as "The Flying Pig Terrain Company" and even got a neat logo to boot!


Since purchasing the company I've been busy revamping the range a bit (for example, adding a range of 3.5" dirt roads and sections that transition between the different ranges), getting a website up a running and establishing the "official" business in the state of California - lots of paperwork and such.  The vast majority of all the setup and restructuring is complete at this point and I can now just focus on filling out some additional products in the online store and start filling orders.

Here you can see the cobblestone roads being
used in a 28mm Bolt Action game.

Here are the 2" dirt roads (painted dark) being used
in a Muskets & Tomahawks game.

I used the roads "integrated" with the base
for my Fort William Henry model.

Two key factors have always drawn me to these roads for wargaming.  First, they are thin (relatively speaking).  Since I almost exclusively do modular terrain, a product that is thinner looks more integrated into the tabletop when you use it.  The "Battlefield in a Box" roads and many others roads you get are triple if not quadruple the thickness of these roads ... sticking up into the air at unreasonable heights for tabletop wargaming.  Second, they are made from a polyflex material (rubber like) that is extremely flexible.  So the roads can conform to uneven terrain very easily (within reason of course).  They store easily (I jam all mine into a plastic bin).  They take paint very well and are easily static grassed or flocked to complete their appearance.  All in all, and very good product that I'm happy to say I now have for myself in unlimited quantities.

I'm particularly happy about the 3.5" plain dirt roads ... finally a dirt road that is 28mm in size ... you can see below that a 28mm Warloard Panther tank fits very well on the width of these roads.  I have connector sections for going from 3.5" to 2" roads ... for each of the types (plain, tracked and cobblestone).  I can't wait to get these new sections into my games.

The new 3.5" dirt roads go well with 28mm vehicles.

I have several additional products to be added up in the online store over the next month, rivers, streams, foot paths/trails, craters and more.  I will of course still be working on my own projects as well, in fact I'm about a month away from running my first 28mm Black Powder ACW game ... and I have big plans for a SAS/LRDG airfield raid in North Africa as my summer project.

Lastly, I'd like to extend a 10% discount to you all - good from now until the end of June.  Use the code "WELCOME10" when you check out.  If you have any questions, please contact me at sotek486@yahoo.com.

I'll be attending KublaCon this coming weekend.  My group has several games planned and I'll be taking lots of pictures.  We'll be playing an eastern front Bolt Action game on Friday.  Saturday in our Black Powder Napoleonic game and another go at the French Foreign Legion game in Africa.  Sunday will be a Modern "Skirmish Sangin" game in Afghanistan along with some SAGA and Dead Man's Hand.  So lots of gaming is about to happen and I'm excited!  Hopefully I'll see some of you there - stop by and say hi.

17 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new venture...wishing you all the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I may have to send you some to check out :-)

      Delete
    2. If you would like me to plug some of these on my blog I would be happy to do so...

      Delete
    3. Drop me your mailing address at sotek486@yahoo.com. .. thanks! :-)

      Delete
  2. Ditto Eric's comment, sir!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. when I resettled in Nova Scotia I will have to see about what I need

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, sounds like a plan :-) Your are moving back to NS?

      Delete
  4. That's fantastic news Jay, congratulations! Will definitely check out the web site and surely will make some purchases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor!! Please do ... I look forward to your first order ;-)

      Delete
  5. Is Flying Pig still around? I noticed that the webpage is gone and there are still things i need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ron. Yes, I took the site down - was taking too much time away from my gaming. That being said, I've been doing one off orders for people who email me (sotek486@yahoo.com) and friends of mine. Drop me an email and let me know what you want - err - need ;-)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I recently tried to get an email to you regarding some pieces I still need but I did not hear anything back. Is this email still good and is it still possible to get some more pieces?

      Delete
    2. Hey Ron - apologies - my spam filter in Yahoo! may be working it's magic. I've not been producing any more of this, although I still have all the molds and such. The cost of production and time it takes is just to high for me. I'll likely sell all the molds. That being said, if you already have some and are stuck, I may be able to get a small to mid size set of things done. What is it you need?

      Delete
    3. Oh, and what is your email? I'll email you ... and check to see if I just plain missed it somewhere along the way.

      Delete
  7. are you still selling the roads. I can't get on the website.

    ReplyDelete