Sunday, June 19, 2016

Russia Resurgent - Ultra-Modern Conflict in Europe

Using the term "Cold War Gone Hot" (CWGH) isn't really appropriate for what I'm building out with my new modern armies.  When I think of CWGH I think of the 1980's in terms of equipment for both sides.  To describe this fictitious period I'm going to use the term "Russia Resurgent" since for me this focuses around a Russian offensive across Europe (admittedly as would have been expected during the Cold War).

My plan is to build out forces for the following:

  • Canadian Army
  • French Army
  • German Army
  • USMC
  • Russians

The idea is to have a platoon sized force for each, with armoured transports, IFVs, and tanks.  I have just a few odds and ends to take care of for my Iraqi project, but for the most part it is complete, so on to Russia Resurgent!

For the French force I've ordered a full platoon with support from Eureka Miniatures.  I'm using the French Foreign Legion figures in helmets for regular French units.  I will likely expand this in the future and order the FFL figures in berets to represent the FFL units.  French armour is not found easily, but Gaso.Line in Europe does 1/48th scale kits for all French armour, which is great.  It will be just a tad larger than 1/50, but I've seen lots of 1/48 scale kits used with Empress vehicles and miniatures and they look fine.  Also, to get 3D modelling done for all the vehicles and then get them printed would cost me a small fortune, so I ordered the following kits ...

Leclerc MBT

ERC 90 Sagaie

VBCI

VAB

AMX 10 RC Giat

On a separate note, I've been looking for 1/48th scale rutsacks to adorn the sides of my vehicles and I finally found them on the same site that has the French armour ...

US modern equipment 4

I'll be casting the rutsacks so I can mass produce them for the sides of my vehicles.

I'll also be doing Canadians using the Full Battle Rattle Miniatures range that is due out in mere weeks!  Check out their Facebook page.  I'll be doing a full platoon ... and I have some conversion ideas for support weapons.





I'm using the Leopard 2A6 from Empress Miniatures and I'll be converting the LAV 25 that Empress sells into the LAV III's used by Canada (minor conversion work).

I've had a Canadian G-Wagen 3D modeled (and have them in hand now and they turned out great).  You can purchase you own from Shapeways here.

I've already ordered and have a significant Russian force on the way from Empress Miniatures.  This includes:


I'll use the Eureka Miniatures Bundeswehr range for the Germans.  I haven't tried to track down any of the German armour yet (other than I know Empress has the Leopard 2A6 that I will use again for the Germans).  More on this in a future post.

Last but not least is the USMC.  Since I already have this force for Iraq, I figured I'll do them last but I will do them as it wouldn't be "Russia Resurgent" if the US didn't show up to the party.

24 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. A project I want to dabble into one day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, looking forward to getting stuff on the table :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow Jay this is going to be awesome. What scale did you decide to go with for the Hind? Those rutscaks kits look awesome and will add alot to the US vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx. All my aircraft is 1/48. Need to make molds for the rutsacks cause I'm going to need a bunch.

      Delete
  3. Already off to a great start. I was talking to Empress and they where telling me that they are planning on also doing French and Germans this year too. So that might help fill any gaps you may have in your current list of figs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice!! Shit, I prefer Empress when I can get them. Thanks, I think I'Lloyd wait for those to use for the Germans.

      Delete
    2. Might drop them a line to see how much further out they are. Last I checked they said they are going to do Rangers next.

      Delete
  4. You sir are as mad as a hatter!
    But you are inspiring me for sure as im currently building up my British, Special forces & African/Afghan foes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a big switch from a LAV-25 to a LAV III. Totally different hull. But you might get away with putting the lav 25 turret on a Stryker hull, then use the LAV 25 hull to make a Bison.
    28mm Canadian gamers have wrestled with this conundrum for 10 years!
    Full Battle Rattle hope to do a LAV III if the figures sell well though

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope they do. Canadian forces are seriously under represented considering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but we're a small gaming market.

      Delete
    2. Getting larger :-) I'mean really pumped about the Full Battle Rattle stuff.

      Delete
    3. I will be picking up a few myself.

      Delete
    4. Was just reading up on the 4 battalions that NATO is sending to the Baltic Nations.
      Estonia will get the British.
      Poland will host the Americans.
      Germans will be in Lithuania.
      And Canadians will be in Latvia, So maybe look at getting a few modern Germans painted up to represent Latvia armed forces for the Defense of Riga.

      Delete
    5. Oooo, you are a wealth of excellent info sir! :-) Great idea.

      Delete
  7. Wow, this is an ambitious project- I shall cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You Sir are a Legend.
    Inspired me to pull my finger out and build up my modern units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thx! Looking forward to seeing the PLA and Russians in the land down under :-)

      Delete
  9. This project sounds like a lot of fun. :) Black Dog do some modern gear/rucksacks, etc in resin 1/48th They might be worth a look for stowage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, excellent, gonna check that out. Thanks!

      Delete