Sunday, November 25, 2018

Battle of Scarif - Star Wars Battle Report

Got together today with Dan Kerrick, Roy Scaife and Matt Hilzendrager to play test Dan's Battle of Scarif game.  While this is still a bit of a work in progress ... the majority of the stuff is done and Dan has brought together an excellent game here.  Dan will be running this game a DundraCon in February.  We'll see this again for another play test.


Not being very happy with the Star Wars Legion rules we've taken the tried and true approach of modifying Bolt Action to work for Star Wars - using the Legion rules/unit stats as inspiration for the adaptation.  More on this in a future post ... but in short, this worked really well for this game.


The rebels start with two identical groups that start off on each of the two small islands.  Each group has 2 infantry sections (7 figures each) and a single RT walker.  An additional RT walker comes in at the end of turn 3.  The rebels also get air support from Blue Squadron each turn.

The Imperial forces start on the large islands.  Each force has 2 sections with 8 miniatures each.  Reinforcements arrive via the bunker on each large island.  From each bunker (1 on each large island) 2 additional sections with 6 figure each arrive.  Imperial infantry units recycle from the bunker the turn after they are destroyed.  At the end of turn 3 an AT-ACT arrives and moves diagonally across the table.  It provides additional jump off points for recycled units as well as fire support from the super-heavy laser cannons mounted on the head of the walker.

The game went well ... with the edge going to the Imperial forces near the end.  We took tons of notes to update the rules and modify the scenario but we all had a blast(er)!

TONS of pictures below ...

I pulled out my nice camera and zoom lens and went to work!  Lots of close up shots below ...







































Phone pictures below ...













































36 comments:

  1. Exquisite table and great looking figures, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - Dan did a great job bringing this all together.

      Delete
  2. No words to say what We can feel about your report... just one thing... it's a shame that all those figures don't run, scream and shoot !
    ;-)
    This is one of the best batrep We have ever seen !
    We will put a link on Our Blog tomorow !
    Big Big Bravo !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comments - glad you enjoyed it :-)

      Delete
  3. fantastic pictures to say the least.

    I can't wait to hear more about those bolt action rules conversion, i'm not that happy with the legion rules either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just need to make some updates then will post them as "beta" rules as we still work through some of the play testing. Hope to have them up in a day or two.

      Delete
  4. Great looking table and miniatures. Brilliant photographs, do the collection proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Much better when I get my nice camera out instead of being lazy with my phone camera :-)

      Delete
  5. Nicely done! Great looking table and figs. I look forward to your expansion on how you got to this point.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Should have something posted up in a day or two on the rules.

      Delete
  6. Dayum!!! That looks amazing! Nice to see another clear base convertee :) Are those all Dan's figures?
    You can go ahead and put me on the email list for these Star Wars BA rules lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol!! Yes, that's all Mr. Dan ... I just hosted :-) Will do ... making updates now ... should have them posted within next day or two.

      Delete
  7. Excellent. Hope you charged for admission!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol!!! Admission was $0.00 ... I'm a crap negotiator :-)

      Delete
  8. I'm one with the Force! The Force is with me! I'm one with the Force! The Force is with me! I'm one with the Force! The Force is with me! I'm one with the Force! The Force is with me! I'm one with the Force! The Force is with me!

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol ... you were missed John! When you don't show the chances of Matt and Dan engaging go up significantly :-)

      Delete
    2. Actually Dan and I played nicely together that day. However I was giving him a break due to the Holiday. :-)

      Delete
    3. Lol ... we were civilized on our side of the table :-)

      Delete
  9. Beautiful! I like how the clear bases really blend into terrain no matter what the miniatures are standing on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must admit that this was a fun project to do. I just wished that I had played a game on the board before it left. It looks awesome with everything on it. And by the way, I found myself buying both Lord of the Rings and Star Wars figure recently. The nerve of your inspirational influences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did a fantastic job ... that is one heavy mat! We plan to play a WW2 Pacific game on it in the future ... and maybe some Blood and Plunder too. Very flexible in potential uses.

      lol ... LotR and SW stuff ... oh no!!

      Delete
  11. Wow.
    This is exactly what I wanted when I started buying Imperial Assault. Much as Legion looks epic, I'm not sure I can make myself buy it all again.
    This however, makes it more tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had similar thoughts but the IA figures just didn't look right to me ... I ended up selling my stuff for that game. Legion figures are nice ... rules are terrible, but great figs :-)

      Delete
  12. Wow, most impressive and atmopspheric pictures, great report and splendid looking game!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Jay, one of my top five favorite scifi movies and this easily could pass as a mock up story board for a movie. Bravo!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin ... it does leave an impression. Loved the movie as well ... Dan did great pulling it all together - we had a great time.

      Delete
  14. This is an amazing table, wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, just stumbled across this, it looks immense, fantastic! I'm wanting to do a Scarrif board too, just doing a Hoth one at the moment. How did you do the grass on yours? I can do the rest I think but the grass is standing tall, straight and works really well.

    Also is storing this an issue? With the trees and foliage stuck to the board i guess you can't just shove them in a corner sort of thing.

    Great work, bravo! 😘👍🏻

    ReplyDelete