Monday, March 30, 2020

Home Schooling for Wargamers (Bolt Action)

This past Sunday I decided to teach my 11 year old how to play Bolt Action WW2.  He had asked me last weekend but I needed to do some tidying up and such so I made him a deal.  If he read the core Bolt Action rules during the week, we would play a game this past weekend.  Sure enough he read all the core rules!


I wanted to keep this simple and somewhat balanced, but also include armour and infantry.  We played British airborne vs. German Fallschirmjager.


British OOB:

1 x Sherman Firefly
2 x Cromwell
1 x Para Infantry Section
1 x Para Officer (+ Rifleman)
1 x Para Medic
1 x Para PIAT Team
1 x Para MMG Team

German OOB:

1 x Panzer IV
2 x Panzer III
1 x Fallschirmjager Infantry Section
1 x Fallschirmjager Officer (+ Rifleman)
1 x Fallschirmjager Medic
1 x Fallschirmjager PIAT Team
1 x Fallschirmjager MMG Team

He elected to play the Germans, mostly because I think he liked the camo pattern on the tanks.

I also decided to use a 4 foot by 6 foot table with a simple setup of just trees and fences/hedgerows.  No buildings or built up areas.  You can see the setup below.


So off we went.  My dice were more terrible than normal ... I don't recommend facing off against the luck of kids!  By the end of the game I had only managed to knock out one of the Panzer IIIs --- yes, just 1!!!  He destroyed all three of my tanks, killed my PIAT team and my Officer.  Tis a sad day when you have to actually use your officer to try to kill enemy units, but I was throwing everything I could at him by this point!

So, massive victory for the offspring.  I think the seed has been successfully planted.

Crappy phone pictures below of the action ...




















25 comments:

  1. Great stuff, Jay.
    The terrain and also the figures look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful game! The table looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful game! The table looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chip off the old block, Jay! What was his opinion? (Wait till he starts using the stuff on his own)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely looking game Jay...
    It is very true... the dice gods look kindly on the young...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful set up! Is the table custom built?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done the lad! I have to say that I am somewhat envious of your gaming space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember playing games of Dogfight (plastic airplanes), and one of the earliest point to point boardgames on three battles Patton was involved in. Stick figure infantry symbols and generic side views of tanks that looked like VW bugs. Blue symbols (good guys) and red symbols (the bad guys). It is something as a kid that I have remembered all my life.

    I bet your son will remember this when he is our age... especially since he kicked your butt;)

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking game and school has never been such fun.........but can I just check your gaming table /room has a bar !!!!!!!👍🤪

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice looking game!

    Where did you get the little sidetrays from? Did you make them yourself? Or did you buy them somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad the heir apparent has proved himself, Jay. Long may he rain. Excuse me, reign:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks Steve (and for letting me know the commenting was broken) :-)

      Delete
  12. Great stuff Jay! I always wondered if E ever got into the garage to roll some dice with dad, good to see he has 😀

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the table and the terrain! Is the table custom built?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Reese - table here:
      https://ultimategametable.com/

      Delete
  14. I've commented a few times and thought I may have been banished:(

    The table and scenario look great. I will always remember games I played with my dad when I was your son's age. I am sure he will too, especially since he kicked the old mans butt;)

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol ... likewise growing up ... although I remember getting my butt kicked! :-) Yeah, my fault ... tried a moderation setting and it is, well, not good ;-)

      Delete
  15. Great set up you have there.
    Started playing a fantasy skirmish game with my son recently, only won one encounter so far! What is it with kids and dice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Lol, I'm not sure ... I would say beginners luck but it seems to continue far beyond the beginner stage ... maybe they just haven't built up enough bad karma or something.

      Delete
  16. Nice game and even better getting your son to the table with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Every cloud has a silver lining Jay and what better way to get some father son bonding time in together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, thanks Pat - great to see you are back at the hobby projects :-)

      Delete
  18. A great way to train up a future opponent! Even when they later discover cars, girls and careers, they still come back for a game with the 'old man'. Speaking from experience!
    Great table!

    ReplyDelete