I'm happy to share with you all my new rules for ancient wargaming called Order and Fury.
While I say "ancient wargaming" - which is true - this first iteration of the rules focuses specifically on Caesar's Gallic Wars. I plan to use this rule system for War of the Roses and to replace my War of the Ring (LOTR) rules - which I've already started to do (making shooting more effective, adding in magic and monsters).
I've created a full rulebook which is free to download.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_1J0JrtP5dCi76TpARrh822re3TaHyWO/view?usp=sharing
Everything you need to play the game is included in the rulebook - the core rules, army lists, tokens, and quick reference sheets.
The game primarily revolves around two core attributes: Discipline and Ferocity. These are tracked for each unit in the game and if either is reduced to zero, the unit is broken and removed from play.
Below I've pasted the "Forward" from the rulebook:
Welcome to the rulebook for Order and Fury.
While these rules are designed for any ancient to medieval wargame, this rulebook specifically focuses on Caesar’s Gallic Wars. Inside you will find the rules and army lists along with all information to get you playing a wargame.
My collection uses 28mm figures supplied primarily by Warlord Games, but some additional figures have been filled out using Wargames Foundry. You will see pictures throughout the book from my collection. That being said, it is important to note that this set of rules is both miniatures and basing agnostic. Feel free to use any scale of miniatures. The rules will work no matter if you have based all the miniatures for a single unit on a single base, or if you use multiple bases to depict a unit. There is also no requirement for how many figures are to be included on each base.
The core design objectives for Order and Fury is to provide a miniature wargame experience that allows small, medium and large sized battles to be resolved quickly, while maintaining the core themes of ancient (and medieval) warfare. My intention is to engage both sides throughout the game, using the ability to surge (take extra actions with units) to add some variability to the game.
Many rule systems bog down in close combat. Using a base 2D6 to resolve all tests and combat is intended to make this more streamlined. The core system keeps special rules, modifiers, and attributes to a minimum, allowing players to focus on playing the game.
Go forth and happy gaming!
I've been playtesting this system for a while now and progress has been good. I just hosted a big game yesterday and it played out well within expectations. Here are some pictures from the start of that game . This was a game using 2 divisions per side.
Here are some phone pictures ...
It was a hard fought game. Melee rules the day. In the end it was a draw but very near a Roman victory. Honestly it was the right result. The Roman right flank had collapsed but the Roman left flank was dominant. We played out 6 turns and it was fun. Usually melee bogs systems down but I found we flew through the melee phase - especially given every single unit on the table was engaged in melee combat at one point. That is the central theme of ancient warfare IMO - melee.
As always, I don't sell or look to make money off of sharing these rules. I'm simply sharing should someone else want to give them a go and so I can have a place to reference them (often people at conventions ask me for the rules I use).
That's it for now - hope you are all playing games!





















No comments:
Post a Comment