Sunday, April 23, 2017

ACW Collection - Taking Stock

Well, it must have been 3 years ago when Roy Scaife and I had a serious conversation about doing American Civil War.  Roy has been a great friend and wargaming buddy for 17 years (and ironically was the first wargamer I met when I moved down to California in 2000).

As a side note as it relates to gaming groups/friends.  Roy and I have both worked together to build out this collection. One of the great blessings I have living in Fremont is a great group of wargamers --- which is not only important for playing games - but because we all have an agreement that we provide and work together as a group to bring different periods and games to life.  For small projects (for example, Muskets and Tomahawks) we do these individually, collecting both sides and terrain then hosting games for the group as a whole - but for much larger periods like Napoleonic's, we all chip in to get breadth and scale to the period in question.  I've been lucky to have this type of setting throughout my wargaming life (even back in Halifax, Canada as my father's group was very similar).

Anyways ... figured since I had most of the collection out for the McPherson's Ridge game I might as well take some pictures of the whole lot.

The Union army ...

Union army completed to date.

Still finishing up the limber team
for the gun battery.



Side view.

The Confederate army ...

Confederate army completed to date.



I'd say it is just about done.  At this point I think it is just minor small things remaining --- I want to add about 20 more casualties per side, finish the wagons, camp sets - all those cool odds and ends that Perry Miniatures sells.  Maybe a couple of fluffier units like the Louisiana Fire Zouves.  We'll see.

21 comments:

  1. *wipes tear from my eye* It's beautiful, just beautiful! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic minis. What rules set(s) are you using for your battles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use This Hallowed Ground --- which I guess you can call home brew now ... but is really a hybrid of Black Powder, Kings of War and Bolt Action. Whole thing is on 4 sheets (two double-sided QRS sheets). Happy to send to you if interested ... just drop me an email at sotek486@yahoo.com.

      Delete
  3. What group was he in? I don't know if any wargaming groups here in Nova Scotia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Wasn't an official group. Two of his good friends, Mel Neely (Halifax proper, near the Halifax shopping center) and Don Purcell (Bedford) formed the core of it (we lived in Lower Sackville) ... I played growing up with them. Each had a large game room in their houses and we would just cycle through. Played a lot of 1/72 WW2 and 25mm Napoloenic's.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and this was mid 80's to about 2000 ... when I moved down. My father passed away in 2002 ... but hadn't done much gaming after I left.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks - no prob --- hope you are feeling better!

      Delete
  5. Well done, Perry make some lovely figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do ... makes me spend all my money! ;-)

      Delete
  6. Fantastic collection, that's a sight to see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful looking collection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Jay, great collection, and it sounds like you had fun with your Father when you were growing up. I think the most important thing about gaming is it's social impact. None of that pushing buttons and swiping crap.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin --- yes, I was a lucky child --- really enjoyed growing up with the hobby :-)

      Delete