While I've been hard at work on finishing my AWI stuff (very close now), the glorious Steve Dake finished up the last of my Rohan, Isengard and Dunland forces.
They arrived in todays post and I promptly unpacked the models. Christmas again already? I snapped a few pictures.
As you can see above this batch is large, clocking in at around 270 miniatures, all stunningly painted by master Dake.
I've decided to abandon the clear basing as it is just too brittle for regular handling of the miniatures. Also, I'll be able to add secondary pins for those ever fragile plastic GW horses once I get them on mdf bases (with glue, sand, static grass and tufts).
So once I finish up the AWI basing I'll have more basing to do. I shant complain though as having a backlog of painted miniatures to put on bases is better than a backlog of unpainted miniatures (ha, I have that problem as well, but one thing at a time).
That is a jaw dropping amount of models Jay lol! What's your turnaround time on a commission of this size? That's too bad about the clear bases, which means another massive re-basing project and that doesn't sound fun my friend.ReplyDelete
As someone who lives on a horse farm the cost to feed and maintain your cavalry forces must be astronomical 🤣
Lol! Tgese horses eat static grass, of which I have a whole troff :-)Delete
I try not to put to much pressure on Steve. He started this wave back in late November if I recall. He is a machine. If you knew how much of his own stuff he got done over the summer you'd poop a lead brick :-) lol
Very nice, the GW cavalry are particularly difficult rebasing and potential legs breaks so agree solid bases a good idea 👍ReplyDelete
Thx! I guess the good news is I already put pins in the one leg that is on the base so that will save me some time :-)Delete
Wooow! A lot of great looking minis sir!ReplyDelete
Can't wait to get them all based up. Fords of Isen here I come :-)Delete
A shame about the bases they did look good but fully understand the balance between style and game play.ReplyDelete
A wonderful collection.
An experiment - it was worth trying. I'm still a fan of clear bases for skirmish models (e.g. Star Wars Legion minis). I really wanted it to work ... which is why I got so far in on it ... but time was the proof. The "straw that broke the camels back" was that I came to the conclusion that I would never be able to run the game at a convention as the models would just break off the bases like crazy. Lesson learned and shared for all to hopefully benefit from. I've rebased so many things over the years that this is just the latest thing to do :-) Thanks Stu!Delete
That is certainly a splendid looking pile of painted toys... second Xmas indeed...ReplyDelete
I don’t envy you with the rebasing... but it’s definitely better than broken miniatures...
All the best. Aly
Thanka Aly! It was worth a try with the clear bases ... I'll just hunker down and get'er done :-)Delete
That's a lot of basing ahead of you, but it will look amazing!ReplyDelete
Heck yeah! I'm looking forward to it though as it will be a major milestone to complete my Rohan, Dunland and Isengard armies.Delete