Tuesday, August 4, 2020

General Update - The Summer of Basing

I've been busy this summer.  I have a backlog of painted figures that need basing so I've hunkered down and started "The Summer of Basing" --- although hopefully it doesn't take me that long ...

I'm currently basing ~1,750 figures spanning AWI British and Americans, and Napoleonic's spanning French, Russians, and Austrians.

I have most of the units on bases at this point ... still finishing up a few for this "wave" of basing (2 x French Line infantry at 36 figures each, and a Russian Grenadier unit at 36 figures).

You can see most of them arrayed together on my bar top below.


From closest in the picture to farthest - the first 3 "rows" are AWI --- which represents about 1/3rd of my AWI collection --- 2/3rds needs basing straight after this batch.

Next is French Napoleonic - 4 units of light infantry and 4 units of line infantry.  I have 2 more line infantry to base.  Behind the infantry (for the French row, and behind the Austrian row) is French cavalry, a unit of Lancers, 2 units of Dragoons, Hussars and Carabiniers.

The Austrian row has 5 new "large" (48 figure) German line units, with 1 regular (36 figure) German line unit and 1 Grenz unit.  I have 8 more Austrian infantry units to base at 36 figures each.

The last two rows are my Russians.  12 x Musketeer units (36 each), generals, 2 artillery batteries (6 guns each), Dragoons and Cuirassiers.  Basing a Grenadier unit currently to add to this pile.


Above you can see a closer look at the AWI units ...


Above you can see a closer look at the French Napoleonic units ...


Above you can see a closer look at the Austrian Napoleonic units ...


Above you can see a closer look at the 1st part of the Russian Napoleonic units ...


Above you can see a closer look at the 2nd part of the Russian Napoleonic units ...


Above you can see a closer look at the Russian High Command ... excellent set by Perry Miniatures.

Very soon I move on to getting sand on the bases, static grass, tufts, etc.

I'll have both AWI Breeds Hill (Bunker Hill) and Guilford Courthouse on the game table in September - looking forward to those games.  My Wagram scenario is hot on the heels of that, with Borodino being ready in the new year if all goes to plan.  Borodino is a very large game ... will need ~8 players per side ... so hoping that can be run at a convention after COVID finally passes ... but we'll see ...

With that I'll wish you all health and happiness during these troubled times.

17 comments:

  1. Excellent work and great looking figures.After playing your rules a couple of times now i am re basing skirmishers to fit the rules.
    Any bases left over from my old system will become primary 4 stand skirmish units.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, what a spectacular sight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These troops look formidable! I wait to see them on the battlefield!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh
    My
    Days
    This is where I call BS on this new improved Blogger update, why can't I comment with a jaw dropping GiF right now?!
    Mate, only you could fill an entire length of a bar with miniatures 🤣
    Great stuff!
    *but I do think you owe all of us a post on how the hell you actually store all your figures 🤷‍♂️*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, you are too funny. I'm not a fan of the recent blogger update either - lots of screwy little things ... but it's free so hard to complain.

      It was funny, I was filling out the great wargaming survey the other day and it asked how many miniatures you own. 2500 was the upper bound. I chuckled - hell, I'm basing almost that many right now :-D

      When I get this next wave done I want to do some army showcases ... and will show my storage area and bins. There are many :-)

      Delete
  5. (Soft whistle escapes from my lips), amazing. You do have a way with making a statement. Grand at that, what a collection. You could open a museum and I would gladly buy an admission ticket.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin! LOL - with all the minis being stored, I have no room for a museum :-D Too funny!

      Delete
  6. Nice bar top and I especially like your taste in Belgium beers. Yes, the figures are excellent as well, great to see them on review. The Perry Russian Napoleonic command group is a must have. Regards Abound. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, many a good time at the Feisty Wench (name of the bar)! :-)

      Thanks - I'm a massive fan of Perry Miniatures.

      Delete
  7. You certainly don’t do things by halves do you Jay...
    A splendid array of toys...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly! OCD + Type A ... bad combination :-) Or good combination for wargaming ...

      Delete
  8. Wow! It’s a really breathtaking collection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's impressive! Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete