Friday, April 8, 2022

Never Mind the Billhooks: War of the Roses

Well, I guess it was just a matter of time.  I tried to resist.  Looked the other way.  Blanked out images in my head ... but alas, my efforts have failed.

I will say - this is a long post because I included a lot of pictures related to painting references.  Additionally, I included the order of battle I'll use for refighting Tewkesbury (1471).

With everything else going on ... and there is a lot going on ... I've dove straight into doing forces to fight Tewkesbury using Never Mind the Billhooks.  I had originally, many moons ago, bought some Perry Miniature War of the Roses (WotR) figures to do a skirmish level game.  They temporarily left my holdings but recent found their way back to me.  I thought I had a lot more than I did ... so I ended up submitting a large order to Perry this past week so I can complete the forces needed.

From the stuff I have in my possession, I was able to assemble Edward IVs battle.  I always have a little dread when I have to assemble Perry plastics ... just because there are a lot of parts.  But, these actually went together fairly well.  Two evenings of efforts got it all done.

In order to facilitate what livery I want to use for various units involved for the game I ended up creating some of my own uniform plates crudely using PowerPoint.  You can see them below.  I created some basic templates I could then colorize as needed.













Now, here is what I have for the orders of battle I'll use for Tewkesbury (again, based on Never Mind the Billhooks).  Admittedly, while all you really get from history is the numbers and general lords present at the battle, I have taken some liberties with the forces involved (e.g. using handgunners and a small number of mounted knights).  I'd say it is generally ok though - I wanted the forces involved to have a little variability to demonstrate the various unit types covered by the rules.

Tewkesbury, 1471


YORKIST OOB


King Edward (Center)
• King Edward IV, Hero (Mounted)
• Sir Henry Stafford, Commander (Foot)
• 8 x Knights
• 12 x Men-at-Arms
• 12 x Billmen + 12 x Archers
• 12 x Billmen + 12 x Archers
• 1 x Artillery

Lord Hastings (Right)
• Lord Hastings, Commander (Foot)
• Earl of Essex, Commamder (Foot)
• 12 x Men-at-Arms
• 12 x Pikemen + 12 x Archers
• 12 x Billmen + 12 x Archers
• 1 x Artillery
• 6 x Skirmishers (Handguns)

Duke of Gloucester (Left)
Duke of Gloucester, Commander (Foot)
• John de la Pole, Commamder (Foot)
• 12 x Men-at-Arms
• 12 x Billmen + 12 x Archers
• 12 x Billmen + 12 x Archers
• 1 x Artillery
• 6 x Skirmishers (Handguns)

Detached (Light Cavalry "Plump")
• 1 x Commander (Mounted)
• 8 x Light Cavalry
• 8 x Light Cavalry

LANCASTRIAN OOB


Prince Edward & Lord Wenlock (Center)
• Prince Edward, Commander (Mounted)
• Lord Wenlock, Commander (Foot)
• 8 x Knights
• 12 x Men-at-Arms
• 12 x Pikemen
• 12 x Billmen + 12 x Archers
• 1 x Artillery

Duke of Somerset (Right)
• Somerset, Commander (Foot)
• Duke of Exeter, Commander (Foot)
• 12 x Men-at-Arms
• 12 x Billmen + 12 x Archers
• 12 x Billmen + 12 x Archers
• 12 x Billmen + 12 x Archers
• 6 x Skirmishers (Handguns)

Earl of Devon (Left)
Earl of Devon, Commander (Foot)
• Earl of Northumberland, Commander (Foot)
• 12 x Men-at-Arms
• 12 x Pikemen
• 12 x Billmen + 12 x Archers
• 12 x Billmen + 12 x Archers
• 6 x Skirmishers (Handguns)

I put together a painting reference related to Edward's "battle" (group).








So one of the Billmen and one of the Archer units in the battle will be in Stafford's colors.  The rest will be in a variable theme for Edward's red/blue colors.

Finally, if you have read this far, you may be interested in some of the uniform plates that come with the Perry Miniatures boxes (always a great resource).  I have included them below.



Tons of useful information here --- although I'll admit the whole period can be very confusing.

That's it for now but a lot more to come.

27 comments:

  1. Excellent! I will be watching this project develop with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Target is to play this battle by end of August ... should be doable. :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the blank livery coats. Going to have to snags those to make some of my own up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, that's why I shared them :-) Email md if you want the "source" file.

      Delete
  3. Love it when a plan comes together ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck Jay - we fought all the battles of the Wars of the Roses using NMTBH - a great set of rules that certainly delivers the fun. My take on the battle of Tewkesbury can be found on my blog - just google Shed Wars Tewkesbury

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ... I've been all over your blog. Not just for WotR, but always a follower of your many excellent games :-)

      Curious about house rules for larger NMtB games. One I like is that leaders get a free move at the end of the turn so you don't have to burn orders on them. Not sure any others are really needed.

      Delete
    2. AS for big games we adopted the following - no levy or veterans keeps it simple. Battle Commanders, as opposed to other commanders can command any unit in their battle. There are a host more other bits and bobs and these are all going to be published in an upcoming article in Wargames illustrated (I think)

      Delete
    3. We also dropped the duels - plus any excess casualties on a wiped out unit automatically go onto the Lord if present - tends to eliminate them ;-)

      Delete
    4. Final point before I sign off - each of your battles has too few commanders - for example you have Somerset leading 8 units - unl;ess I am misreading your intentions you will never be able to move that number of units effectively with just one boss. Our experience shows that you need at least one leader for every two or four units otherwise the game will grind to a halt

      Delete
    5. Great point. Thanks for the guidance, will get some additional commanders in each battle.

      Delete
  5. You don't do things by half Jay, another period to add to your wonderful collections. Some great ideas and planning you have done for your livery reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat!! Always appreciate when the wargaming master stops by my humble blog :-) Looking forward to seeing more stunning pictures from your collections

      Delete
  6. Great news! We at the club have been playing games for this period for a long time and have tried a lot of rules. It will be interesting to see what happens with you, Jay 8)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Excited to finally get some medievil on the table :-)

      Delete
  7. Impressive project will watch with interest the forces come together 👍

    ReplyDelete
  8. She be interesting to see this progress. I have been painting a ton of WotR figures myself, and decided to skip the badges. They are for use with Test of Resolve rules by my friends from the UK, Tim Couper and David Knight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got me thinking, "Badges. Badges! We don't need no stink'in badges!"

      Delete
    2. My thought exactly! :-)
      Although somewhat iconic of the WotR, it also makes it easier to use the same figures for other 15th century conflicts.

      Delete
    3. Good point. I also should check out the Test of Resolve rules - have not seen them.

      Delete
    4. ToR Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/748158095970079

      My playthrough of ToR (I was a principal playtester):
      https://blundersonthedanube.blogspot.com/2021/05/test-of-resolve-playthrough-stoke-field.html

      ToR website and ordering:
      https://testofresolve.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

      (there are multiple scenario books now, and more on the way as we playtest them)

      Delete
  9. Following! This is another favorite period of mine. I have all the troops in Perry Plastics, but haven't summoned the motivation to dive in. Billhook rules would definitely be something I'd try with these.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, hopefully I can nudge you a little closer to gettong those beautiful Perry figs out of the boxes :-)

      Delete