Friday, August 5, 2022

Minas Tirith (And A Thought)

After a lot of consideration - I've decided to give a go at building Minas Tirith using a foam modelling approach.  I plan to follow the approach laid out by the crazy man of the famous Zorpazorp.  If you are unfamiliar with Zorpazorp you may not follow Middle Earth/Lord of the Rings stuff ... or perhaps you've been hiding under a rock for many years ...

I highly recommend his YouTube channel ... he does a LOT of LOTR stuff and also has a lot of Warhammer 40k content - which, even if you are not into, is actually very entertaining because he builds absolutely massive terrain and hidden within his videos are some excellent terrain tips, tricks, guides, etc.

You can find Zorpazorp on YouTube here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/Zorpazorp

Specially to what I'm doing ... there are three videos that explain it all ...

Basic wall sections and painting guide: https://youtu.be/uuja0FO7erI


Expanded wall section: https://youtu.be/N4RpOEB8fzU

And finally the third version of the walls: https://youtu.be/k30HdMAYOTc


The only challenge I have is that he has not done the main gate - BUT - I've already got this mostly designed and worked out at this point so will just do my own templates/build of it using the same methods.

I really can't stress enough that even if you are not into LOTR I still highly recommend watching these videos as they really in a very clear way show you how to do foam terrain - from start to finished product --- and it doesn't require advanced skills, this is something anyone can do with just a little effort.

Finally, I have lots going on as usual.  I've been thinking of doing a "hobby talk" series of posts that go over a little of my wargaming history, thoughts, inspirations, plans, tips, tricks, favorite products, and more --- if you think you would find this interesting please leave me a comment below (not that anyone really gives a poop about this).  I may do this regardless, just to document my thoughts and so I can remember things when I get (even) older ...

For example, some recent inspiration I've had is to look at finishing my Necromunda terrain after seeing to great layouts ...



While GW stuff is expensive, you really can't argue with the results.

8 comments:

  1. What a great tip on the video and who would have thought he is based here in Australia. Very passionate and professionally done tutorials. Thanks Jay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is in the middle of abandoning you for New Zealand :-) lol (as he says, he is moving to Middle Earth). He is one carzy Azzie though!

      Delete
  2. Great looking Necromunda boards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, I had some 4Ground stuff that is all going straight in the bin and I've aquired a bunch of the GW terrain to do a similar layout.

      Delete
  3. I think if you follow Zorpazorp instructions you will fill your whole garage:). He is a hoot though. You know I (and a lot of other people) would watch the Jays Wargaming madness channel. Maybe a rules walkthrough or two (start with this Hallow Ground!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mark! I'm certainly not planning on filling my garage ... I'll be happy with a 6 foot length of wall ... maybe 8 feet :-) I've been tempted to do a YouTube channel ... I have all the kit I need and know how to do it. Editing videos is a big time suck (would have to resist going overboard on it) ... but something I might do ... or rather perhaps something I really should do. Hummm.

      Delete
  4. A big project looking forward to seeing it progress 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! Just got all the materials together ... once I tidy up the workspace a bit I'll be diving in :-)

      Delete