Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Russian Napoleonic Army Progress

Well - apologies to you all for not really posting any updates/falling off the face of the planet.  This has been primarily for two reasons ...  

Firstly, this G-D pandemic.  It really hits me square in the motivation testicles.  I've had small fits of great progress/hobby work followed by weeks of nothing - playing Total War Warhammer II (or as I call it, Total Time Suck).  Not to knock that game, I love it - and version 3 comes out on the 17th, which will surely suck up some more time ... but alas I had to get into a mode of "for every 5-6 turns I need to go base something ..." --- it sorta worked.  Most of my motivation comes from playing games and conventions.  While I've got some games in, the convention scene has been non-existent.  Fortunately DundraCon is coming up in a couple of weekends.

Secondly is cleaning/assembling/painting and basing.  I do indeed farm out a bunch of painting to painters that are similar to my own style of painting - but I had to paint a bunch of stuff as well.  Not exciting stuff for posting.  The good news is I feel I'm coming out of the cocoon on this front having finished a metric buttload of stuff.

I've got everything painted now I need to run Austerlitz.  All that is left to do is base, base, and base some more.  I'll be posting updates as I finish the units.

First up is some Dragoons, Cossacks and command for the Russians ...






I also have several Austrian units done and in need of basing and extras painted and getting based as well ... including this snazzy Austrian command base ...


More to come.  I'm just about finished another couple of cavalry units and three Grenadier units.

16 comments:

  1. Very nice indeed Jay. Great period to game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) One of my favorite periods since I was a weeee lad.

      Delete
  2. Great to see you back Jay! Some really fantastic vignettes there, can never have enough models of guys reading maps imho 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivor!!! Emerging from isolation here, lol. So many maps need reading, so always great to have help :-)

      Delete
  3. Nicely done, sounds like a lot going on. On the computer game front I used to play but realised that they can create a very negative feeling, they are addictive and give instant reward but the long term sense of achievement isn’t there, so I stopped and got on with painting which is more relaxing and significantly more rewarding for the same number of hours spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. I generally don't play computer games, only once in a blue moon and only games with a clear objective/end point (e.g. campaign). I will say, after a couple of hours at the paint table my neck needs a rest these days. I have terrible posture when painting ... so breaks are necessary and welcome.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful work Jay. I love the command stands in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bad ass gorgeous Jay! I just a huge fan of your work and amazing projects you pull off.

    Also your not alone, I feel your pain. Your right about factors of motivation, not to mention the best part is socializing with like minded enthusiasts. That's hobby food for us to keep going. We will get through this. I will attend my first convention in two years the first weekend of March. With my trusty full bottle of Xanax, I will keep the anxiety demons of going at bay;)

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heya Kevin! First convention for me coming up next weekend. March is just around the corner. Hopefully we both get some inspiration from being back in the fold.

      Delete
  6. Keep away from that total time suck Jay, it is very addictive. Glad to see you back with expanding your wonderful historical collections.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jay, Austerlitz is an impressive refight so ambitious, with many separate scenarios across the battlefield. However, I'm wondering if you have French troops in bicornes, which I believe was historically correct. Fortunately, I have several hundred old glory heads I got from Russ Dunaway's special set released many years ago. If you like, I'd turn them over to you. You could then put screws on both these heads and the plastic Perry's heads you now have in use, and be able to exchange heads to fit the scenario. I know. I feel your gratitude already. Might be fiddly, but shouldn't take more than a few weeks to months. PS: all the heads have different faces too. Coming up with the proper sized screw might be an issue...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, you are too much! I tbink I'll survive running it with my later looking French and Russians. This is really just a happy little stop on the way to Borodino :-)

      Delete