Thursday, November 26, 2020

Thanksgiving & Middle Earth Game

Not a long post today.  Just want to say happy thanksgiving to those of you who are US based.  I'll be stuffing my face shortly.  I'm thankful or all the excellent wargaming that I've been able to play with excellent friends this year.

I ran another playtest of my Middle Earth Battles rules this past Tuesday.  I have some minor updates to make but overall the game was good.


Played an Isengard force against a Rohan force.  The terrain was a little restrictive in the center which led to some tough decisions for the Rohirrum.  A Uruk-hai scout unit ambushed from one of the forests to complicate things.

In the end Isengard came out victorious.
I did nap a few pictures from my SLR camera ...







There you have it.  Of course more to come over the next few weeks as I get in some good holiday gaming.  I hope you are all staying safe and healthy out there!

18 comments:

  1. There were some really epic photos in there Jay, especially that one with the Uruk-hai with all the pikes! The mass of troops you put on the tabletop is always spectacular 😀
    Are all your LOTR models painted by Artmaster?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo Ivor! Most of the LOTR stuff is from the excellent Steve Dake ... and heck there are even some units in there I painted :-)

      Delete
  2. Impressive looking game, the set up almost looks like Agincourt and perhaps one force should have been more defensive ?...but then that wouldn’t be very LOTR. Hard to see how the Rohirrim could win this one. Ps you need a bigger table 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it was Agincourt'ish :-) I did it on purpose to test out how nasty the Rohirrum are (or are not). Tested out the last bits of the system.

      Delete
  3. Everything from the painting, through the set to the photos is first class. Your games are always impressive to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! More terrain elements coming soon for middle earth :-)

      Delete
  4. Splendid stuff Jay...
    It’s great to see all these big units in action...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work Jay and always keen to see how your rules are progressing as I would love to get my large LOTR collection out more often as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlo! Yes, flipping between LOTR and AWI ... but I've had LOTR minis for years now and just wasn't using them that much ... but getting them out on a more regular basis now :-)

      Delete
  6. Late to the party, and Happy Thanksgiving in return, an impressive array of miniature gaming goodness! Thanks for sharing Jay.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jay you should do a 28mm Little Big Horn battle/campaign. It would be epic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I've been tempted in the past ... usually after watching the miniseries Son of the Morning Star (excellent) ... but it has limited re-use for the investment.

      Delete
    2. Peter Panzeri in Wargames Illustrated number 300 produce several different scenarios for Little Big horn. i have played several using my collection. I use this time period to play at my local store to interest new players into historical wargaming. Well what ever you choose to do it will be awesome!

      Delete
    3. I recall tgat issue. Awesome. Thanks! :-)

      Delete
  8. Impressive as always! I love such detailed approach. Well done!

    Best wishes,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete